8-550 University Dr. W.
Lethbridge, AB T1J 4T3

Frequently Asked Questions about Vital Statistics

Legal Name Change 

A legal change of name can only be processed in Alberta for residents of Alberta. Applicant must be 18 years of age or older, or parents can apply on behalf of their children.

Whether you want to change your first, middle or last name, a legal name change can be processed at our office. Call or come in, and our staff will help you determine what is required to process it for you.

In some cases, a change or correction to a person’s name does not require a legal change of name and may be changed through an amendment process.

Women who are getting married may assume their spouse’s name without the process of a legal name change.

Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates

Certificates can only be processed for events that took place in Alberta. For personal information reasons, only those persons who are eligible can apply for a certificate. Information on who is eligible is found on the back of the order form. Come into our office, and our staff can order these certificates for you.

Rush certificates are available for an additional fee.

Marriage Licence
Our marriage licences can only be issued to couples who intend to marry in Alberta. The licence is valid for 90 days from the date it is issued. Both parties to the marriage must apply together.

Applicants must be at least 18 years of age (persons under the age of 18 must obtain consent to marry).

Come in and see one of our friendly staff to apply for your marriage licence.

Document Translation

If your documents need to be translated, use our convenient online form.

Chaparral Registry & Insurance

8-550 University Dr. W.

Lethbridge, AB T1J 4T3

Fax: 403-388-7018


Monday-Friday: 9 AM – 6 PM
Saturday: 10 AM – 3 PM

Created by

Legal notice